Remember how, decades ago, having a big booty was frowned upon and considered unattractive, and how instead, we were encouraged to look malnourished and underweight? Well, thankfully, those days are now behind us and now having a shapely and curvy butt is celebrated.
Having a curvy and shapely butt and lower body is not only aesthetically pleasing, it will also do wonders for your self-confidence and will have you feeling sexier and more empowered than ever before.
If you are looking to build yourself a nice booty, there are heaps of glute exercises and glute workouts out there for you to perform. Your glutes btw, are your butt muscles, or more specifically, your Gluteus Maximus muscles. To help you get that shapely booty you’ve always wanted, here’s a look at 5 must-do exercises proven to work your butt.
Banded Side Steps
Up first, we have banded side steps. In order to perform this exercise you will need to purchase a good quality booty band, or booty bands. The great thing about booty bands however, is the fact that they’re so affordable, and so easy to transport.
If you want to work on your hips, abductors, and of course, your glutes themselves, banded side steps are the perfect exercise to perform.
Many people will perform banded side steps as part of a home butt workout, or when warming up before training legs.
To perform this exercise:
· Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, with a band around your ankles and your hands clasped firmly together in front of your chest.
· Next, slowly lower yourself down into a squatting position.
· While squatting down low, slowly take a step to the right and back, and then to the left and back, remember to keep tension on the band.
· Repeat this movement for as many reps as required. 20 reps per side is a good place to begin.
Single Leg Glute Bridge
Another of the more awesome exercises for the butt is the single leg glute bridge.
This exercise is fantastic for building a nice booty, and also for strengthening your core and working on your legs as well.
To perform a single leg glute bridge:
· Begin by laying down flat on your back, on a yoga mat or supported yet firm surface.
· You want both soles of your feet flat on the floor to begin with, with your knees bent.
· Now, take your right leg and fully extend it. As you do, squeeze your glutes and really force your hips upwards towards the sky, and hold for a second or two.
· Now, slowly lower your leg backdown until your butt is hovering just above the floor and switch legs and repeat, making sure not to let your butt touch the floor.
· Repeat for as many reps as required.
No article looking at workouts for big butts would be complete without looking at squats.
Squats, whether done with a barbell, a dumbbell, a kettlebell, or even your own body weight, are fantastic compound exercises not only for working on your legs, but more importantly today, for building a nice booty too.
As far as exercises for the butt go, squats are definitely up there amongst the best, which is why we’re including them here today.
To perform a basic bodyweight squat:
· Begin by standing upright with your legs a little wider than shoulder width apart, and your back straight. Make sure that your toes are pointing at an 11 and 1 position on an imaginary clock face.
· Next, cross your arms over one another so that you’re touching your left shoulder with your right hand, and your right shoulder with your left hand.
· Now, take a deep breath in and slowly bend your knees and should down until your knees form at least a90-degree angle to the ground.
· Hold for a second here and then slowly stand back up, making sure to keep your head up and your back straight.
It turns out that rainbows aren’t just pretty to look at after a rainstorm or when searching for a pot of gold, but they’re also one of the best glute exercises you could ever wish for, and as there is no equipment required you can do them as part of a home butt workout.
Rainbows get their name because you trace the outline shape of a rainbow with your legs as you perform them.
They’re great for working on the quads, as well as for shaping and toning your glutes to give you a shapely and peachy butt.
Here’s a look at how rainbows are performed:
· Start off on all fours with your knees hip-width apart and both your palms flat on the floor just wider than shoulder-width, with your fingers pointing outwards.
· Now, with your toes pointed, take your left leg and slowly rotate your leg and move it forwards so that it rotates up towards the sky, squeezing your glutes as you do..
· Hold for a second at the top, and slowly lower it back down and graze the floor with your toes, around 12inches to the right of your kneeling right foot.
· To complete a rep, return to the starting position and then switch legs and repeat for as many reps as required.
Banded Kick Backs
Finally, another exercise making use of those awesome booty bands, is the banded kick back. This is a very simple, and very effective glute exercise and is considered by many to be one of the best glute exercises in existence. Not only will it work your glutes, but also your hamstrings too.
Here’s what to do:
· Begin on all fours with a booty band around the bottom of your right foot and around your right hand to hold it in place.
· Now, slowly extend your right foot behind you as far as you can stretch, making sure to keep the band straight and return to the starting position.
· Repeat for as many reps as needed, and then repeat with the left leg and left arm.